Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Finding Everyday Savings

Sometimes people are surprised that I'm able to pay my rent and loans and other expenses, but manage to still go on vacations and shop.  I thought I'd leave a few tips on some everyday things you can do to leave a little cushion in your budgets so you can splurge.

Be flexible:  This is the biggest one for me, I think.  My boyfriend and I have been long distance for almost 6 years now (sigh), so I've spent quite a lot of money on buses and trains.  Usually I plan my trips based on the cost of the train.  Thursday train tickets are usually cheaper than Friday tickets, so sometimes I'll take a Friday off work or work remotely to spend a long weekend with him and save money too!  It's a win-win.  Planning ahead is always a good thing, too.

Start cooking: Literally. Start cooking.  I usually go grocery shopping once a week and spend somewhere between $35 - $60 on average.  It really depends on what I'm feeling for the week, how my work schedule looks like, any plans that I have, any sales that are going on, etc.  Typically, I like to make all my meals Monday through Friday and splurge on the weekends.  This is not just because I don't want to gain weight, which is what usually happens if I eat out too much, but it's also so I can save moolah.  Cereal for breakfast, salad and fruit for lunch, and some sort of protein for dinner.  You can save a lot of money here.

Make your coffee at home:  This one is simple.  Make your coffee at home!

Find the deals: This one is a little iffy, but I'll put it out there.  I try to do most of my drugstore shopping at CVS rather than Duane Reade/Walgreens.  Based on my experience, CVS tends to have better coupons and deals than DR.  They also have a coupon machine at the entrance where you scan your card and get a print out of all the coupons you can use.  If you're going to find the same brand of shampoo at both stores, why not walk a few extra blocks for a cheaper one? 

Get a little exercise:  Living in the city, we spend a lot of money on transportation: cabs, subways, buses, etc.  Why not start walking or biking? Not only will it keep you fit, but it will also save you some $$$.  I signed up for the CitiBike membership and have gotten pretty good use out of it.  It was only about $100 for the entire year, whereas subways cost a little over $100 per month.  Granted, for some people, it is simply not feasible to walk/bike to work, but if you can, I'd strongly advise it.  I take a 20 minute walk to work each day, rain or shine, and I'm lucky to avoid the crowds and get a little exercise each morning.  The rule that I typically use is, if it's 2 or less subway stops away, walk! 

For each of these tips, you'll save a few dollars here and there, but they will add up!  Trust me!  Give it a few weeks and you'll be able to buy those shoes you've had your eyes on.

Cheers!
Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment